18 July 2008

Orkut and me!


I have been an orkut member for the last two years or so. To be honest I am not that active. However I do once in a while log on to read some news and occasionally even add my two cents worth of opinions to a thread.

Last weekend I was removed from Super Star Rajinikanth community. I didn’t know the reason why as I didn’t insult Rajinikanth or anyone else in anything I said. That would not be my nature anyway. So I requested to join the group again and in a few hours I was approved. So I was wondering why this had happened and did some research by going through some of the posts and also checking the moderators scraps (the ones which I was able to view). To my surprise, one of the moderators (Dharma) had scrapped another moderator (Ganapathy S) saying how he had removed one of the members in suspicion as he was part of the LTTE community in Orkut and has advised that we should be careful of people like this (Actual words - "the spy team reported one member is a member of LTTE comm and is posting here too, watch the profile name with a song from kuselan, I have removed him from community not banned, just watch out for such profiles".

I was absolutely shocked to see this. Since when is it a crime to have joined the LTTE community in orkut ? Who are these guys to judge which groups that we should be part of and which we shouldn’t be part of? The best part is that I have never ever even talked about Eelam issues in that community or in any other community in Orkut. They seem to think that they are some kind of law and order implementers in Orkut. I do realize they will not be amused by this piece of writing but I am not scared to express my views. There are a few things in my life that I feel very strongly about and the move to remove me out of a fan community because I support the struggle of MY Tamil people in MY homeland is very offensive to me. That too being banned from a overwhelmingly Tamil speaking community for a Tamil star!!!!

I was thinking about what I should do to address this issue and so here I am writing this blog and attaching the screenshot that I took in this blog for all your viewing. I will also shortly start a thread within the Rajinikanth community asking if supporting Tamil people in Eelam is deemed to be wrong among Rajinikanth fans? I would not have been surprised if I had brought the topic and they told me that they do not want to bring politics into Orkut. That is the stance that all cowards take these days anyway. I wouldn’t have been happy but I would have accepted their statement. But by removing me from the community on the grounds that I support the LTTE shows that that is not their stance. They do have a political view and anyone that thinks otherwise will be removed so I would really like to hear more about this. But from observation I would not be surprised if the thread was deleted immediately and me banned. If that is the case these people are not worth talking to anyway. There will be no regrets from my side since I should have never been part of that community in the first place.

By me referring to Eelam Tamils I am also including the LTTE who are fighting for the freedom of the Eelam Tamils. I hope that no one tells me that they approve the Eelam Tamils demand but not LTTE, since Eelam Tamils have always been saying that LTTE is part of us and are our sole representatives. I find it very offensive for people to come and separate us into two different entities, as even recently in “Pongu Thamil” that has been held all around the world the Eelam Tamils have asked the people to accept LTTE as our voice and talk to them about our Tamil people’s aspirations.

To find out more about “Pongu Thamil” that was held this year around the world check - http://www.ponguthamil.co.uk/ and http://www.tamilnation.org/diaspora/ponguthamizh/08.htm

Do they realize how many thousands of Eelam Tamils are ardent Rajinikanth fans? Is the Rajinikanth community really willing to take such a big risk of making a statement that Rajinikanth fans and LTTE supporters should be mutually exclusive? They better be very careful in what they are saying as they are on the brink to loosing them all. Well THEY are not loosing anything but Rajinikanth is. To a star every single fan is important and here we are talking about thousands, even hundreds of thousands. The Sri Lankan Tamil community is doing their bit at fuelling Rajinikanth’s movie ventures. We are buying rights and distributing and now they want to tell us that we are not accepted as fans? Come on people!!!!

If Rajinikanth or his fans want to make a stand against the Eelam Tamils and/or LTTE, then it’s time for the Eelam Tamils to reconsider where they are spending their money. We (Eelam Tamils) are sick of being used as cash cows who keep giving money to these movies when the artists don’t give a damn about our people’s plight. They are after all just artist so I don’t expect them to do anything for us, but at least don’t do anything against us. Removing someone because they have also joined LTTE orkut community is the simplest of asserting a marginalizing process of LTTE and Eelam Tamils.

Time of the fan associations to think hard and make a stance about the Eelam Tamil issues!

No comments: